Friday, August 20, 2010

Websites or Blogs? (Website & Interview update)

http://www.ericascottmcgrath.com/
I spent this week working on the new website.  Have a look when you get a moment! 


I wanted to get it ready for my next interview which is today at Ginger Simpson's blog, Dishin' It Out.

I had to put 'author' on the end of my domain because there are many Karen McGrath's.  We are taking over the world, don't tell anyone!  It feels odd having this new appendage but I'm glad to have a domain name for interviews and promotion purposes. 

I used Dot5Hosting.com.  They have two web editors, one for non-techs like me and the other for computer gurus.  The non-tech web editor is drag and drop meaning you drag the elements you want from the tool bar and you drop them onto the page you're working on.  Simple enough.  There aren't a lot of elements to work with but I was able to use what I had with ease and efficiency so no complaints here!  Of course, for triple the money it will do magic for me but text and pictures are enough for now. 

I'm staying with the branding, "making dreams come true one page at a time..."  That is the genius of my middle daughter, Molly.  I told her I needed a slogan for the website to keep in line with the Dream branding I have for the blog and of course, with my writing.  In seconds, literally, on a  bus ride to the dentist, she quipped that one.  I love it!  She is a talented songwriter in case you're wondering.  

Why a website?  I've been mulling this over for the last few months.  Friends say having a website is a waste of time and money since blogging sites are free and have more pages now.  Some say you need a storefront and blogging is still considered sub par.  I didn't want to give up the interaction here on the blog for a non-relational site.  I came to some conclusions after sifting through many opinions. 

Having a website is more professional 'looking' than 'just' having a blog.  The public perception is that a blog is camp but a website says you know what you're doing.  It's just a perception thing but those perceptions can make a difference.  A website presence is necessary.  But I didn't want to give up this blog, this is where the interaction happens and I didn't want to lose that.  The website editor had blog pages available but I just linked the blog page to here.  The website is the cottage by the sea while the blog is my backyard cook-out.

http://www.ericascottmcgrath.com/
All in all, I'm happy with it for now, or for the next year at least!  I can change pictures in seconds so I'll update the sidebar and text ones from time to time. and I plan to add a photo page so everyone can see our kitten who has taken to stealing potato chips.  I'm setting up a sting so you can see her in the act!  That, and her sugar paintings...

The guest book was improvised from elements in the editor.  Technically it's not a real guestbook, whatever that is... but it functions perfectly well the way it is.  Please have a look and sign it!

What do you think about websites and blogs?  Are websites necessary anymore? 

What do you want to see when you visit an author's website?


photo credits not captioned: morguefile.com

No comments:

Post a Comment